Join Firewise Experts and your USGBC-LA
community for a virtual tour and happy hour filled with fiery discussion! We’ll virtually tour two LA coastal foothill properties hardened to fire while discussing firewise strategies, best practices, and answering your questions.
, founder, Studio of Environmental Architecture, and Cassy Aoyagi
, president, FormLA Landscaping, shared their expertise in hardening homes and creating firewise landscapes via our January webinar
. In June, they’ll build upon the webinar’s take-aways, walking you through their most firewise designs. Via the virtual tour format, you’ll see areas and strategies often not readily visible during in-person tours and perhaps even learn a little bit more.
Cassy Aoyagi will guide tour participants through an optimally firewise garden, selected for the 2020 Venice Design Series
, that wraps a home overlooking Brentwood Canyon. You’ll see:
- Effective, beautiful defensible space on all sides of one of the first green-home renovations in LA
- Cisterns at the ready to fuel rooftop sprinklers
- The mix of native foliage and retaining walls used to secure a steep slope and mitigate fire danger
- Tiered edible gardens filled with the residents’ favored organic fruits, veggies and herbs
- Tree canopy placed strategically to “catch” flying embers away from the home