Will be held at the Sunland Recreation Center Gymnasium
6:30 p.m. refreshments; 6:45 p.m. meeting starts
Enter Parking Lot off Sherman Grove
SUNLAND-TUJUNGA NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
General Board Meeting Agenda
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
6:30 p.m. Meet & Greet • 6:45 p.m. Meeting Starts
Sunland Recreation Center GYM
8651 Foothill Blvd., Sunland
The City’s Neighborhood Council system enables civic participation for all Angelenos and serves as a voice for improving government responsiveness to local communities and their needs. We are an advisory body to the City of Los Angeles, comprised of volunteer stakeholders who are devoted to the mission of improving our communities and bringing government closer to us.
Welcome - Please Sign In – Speaker Cards - Refreshments are in the back of the room - please help yourselves. Time allocations in parenthesis [ ] and order for agenda items are approximate and may be shortened or lengthened at the discretion of the Presiding Officer. All meetings of the STNC may be audio or video recorded.
L.A. City Charter Sec 900. Purpose (Of Neighborhood Councils) To promote more citizen participation in government and make government more responsive to local needs, a citywide system of neighborhood councils, and a Department of Neighborhood Empowerment is created. Neighborhood councils shall include representatives of the many diverse interests in communities and shall have an advisory role on issues of concern to the neighborhood.
We are a department within the city of Los Angeles. We are required to follow city and state laws. The Brown Act does not allow us to discuss anything that is NOT on tonight’s agenda. Items are on time limits so that the meeting will end around 8:45 pm to allow for removal of chairs and tables and clean up. Time allocations are approximate and may be shortened or lengthened at the discretion of the President.
L.A. City Charter Sec. 910. Monitoring of City Services. Neighborhood councils shall monitor the delivery of City services in their respective areas and have periodic meetings with responsible officials of City departments, subject to their reasonable availability.
REMOVAL WARNING: ANY PERSON WHO INTERFERES WITH THE CONDUCT OF A NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
MEETING BY WILLFULLY INTERRUPTING AND/OR DISRUPTING THE MEETING IS SUBJECT TO REMOVAL. A
PEACE OFFICER WILL BE REQUESTED TO ASSIST WITH THE REMOVAL BY THE NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL.
ANY PERSONS WHO RESISTS REMOVAL BY A PEACE OFFICER IS SUBJECT TO ARREST AND PROSECUTION.
Penal Code Section 403, Penal Code Section 602.1(b)
Unless otherwise specified, all items on the meeting agenda are Discussion and Action and may be taken out of order at the discretion of the President.
The time keeper is: _________________ PLEASE USE THE MICROPHONE AT THE PODIUM
1. Call to Order and Welcome – Liliana Sanchez, President
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Roll Call – Quorum is 11
4. Presentation: Certificate of Recognition to Sunland-Tujunga Community Activists who worked on the Verdugo Hills Golf Course Project
5. Board Updates: - Announcement: Notice of Stakeholder Group Representative Vacancy
- STNC Boardmember required ethics, code of conduct, funding 
6. GENERAL COMMUNITY EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS 
7. GENERAL PUBLIC COMMENT ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS 
8. Discussion/Action/Motion: Approve December 11, 2019 Board Meeting Minutes
9. REPRESENTATIVE Announcements & Reports – [12 minutes total] – IF PRESENT PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF
Representatives of LAPD, Local, City, County, State - 2-minute limit per speaker.
Foothill LAPD Captain David Grimes - [email protected] 818-756-8861
Foothill Community Sgt. Jesse Ojeda - [email protected] 818-756-8866)
SENIOR LEAD OFFICERS - TUJUNGA SLO: Gloria Caloca: 818-634-0754; [email protected]
SUNLAND SLO: Cesar Contreras: 818-634-0705; [email protected]
GANGS-DRUGS: Lt. Carlos Solano: 818-897-6081; [email protected]
NARCOTICS, Det. Travis Coyle, 818-834-3136; [email protected]
TRAFFIC ISSUES: Officer Joel Flores 818-644-8142
CD7- Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez - Staff Rep [email protected] 818-352-3287
The Sunland-Tujunga Field Office is now located in Pacoima at 13520 Van Nuys Bl., Pacoima 91331
LA Mayor Garcetti – Caroline Menjivar, East Valley Rep - [email protected] cell (818) 778-4990
LA Mayor Garcetti – Sonya Blake, Dir. of Business Economic Dev Dept firstname.lastname@example.org 213-978-2971
LA City Attorney Mike Feuer – Neighborhood Prosecutor 213-978-8100 – Mark Ross - [email protected]
LAUSD Kelly Gonez (District 6) – Michael Menjivar [email protected] Cell: 818-358-5042 office: 213-241-6388
LA County Supervisor Kathryn Barger 213-974-1311 - Jason Maruca, SFV FD [email protected]
CA Assembly Member Luz Rivas (District 39) Arturo Garcia 818-504-3911 [email protected]
CA State Senator Anthony Portantino (District 25) - 818-409-0400 email@example.com
Mission College – Dean Madeline Hernandez - (818) 875-4036 - 7200 Foothill Blvd., Tujunga
Sunland Elementary School – Principal John Graham - [email protected] (818) 353-1631
Apperson Street School – Principal Rene Chavez /SAA Kimberly Winckler – 818-353-5544 - 10233 Woodward, Sunland
Diana Gutierrez, Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District – 562-944-9656 - [email protected]
Congressman Adam Schiff (District 26) (818) 450-2900 Theresa.firstname.lastname@example.org
Dept. of Neighborhood Empowerment (DONE) 818-374-9898 - Gibson Nyambura, NEA [email protected]
10. DISCUSSION: DONE Updates – Gibson Nyambura, NEA 
11. DISCUSSION/UPDATE/POSSIBLE ACTION: STNC Committee Reports [10 total]
a. LAND USE  – next meeting Jan. 13 @ Apperson
b. NC Budget Advocates – Lallah Rowe / Sandy Capps  – ncbala.com
c. NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH – Jon von Gunten
d. ST TRAFFIC & TRANSPORTATION Committee  next meeting Jan. 28 @ ST Library
e. OUTREACH  – next meeting Jan. 16 @ Apperson – 3rd Thursday
f. STARC – ARTS, CULTURE & RECREATION  – next meeting Jan. 28
g. BEAUTIFICATION  next meeting Jan. 29 – 4th Wed. @ ST Library
h. WEST  – next meeting Jan. 27 @ ST Library
12. Postponed from previous meeting [RC] PRESENTATION/DISCUSSION/ACTION/MOTION: Approve NPG for Los Angeles Community Garden Council/Howard Finn Community Garden in the amount of $1500. ($950 for an 8 ft rectangular picnic table, $550 for a 10 x 10 Pergola Shade Gazebo) to be used at the Howard Finn Community Garden in Tujunga. (NPG)  – Brenda Jahelka / Members of the LA Community Garden Council
The following are recommendations from the STNC Budget & Finance Committee meeting held on December 17, 2019:
13. [RC] Discussion/Action/Motion: Approve the December 2019 Monthly Expenditure Report
14. [RC] Discussion/Action/Motion: Amend the STNC 2019/2020 Administrative Budget to reflect that $5,000 of the allocated $9,713.62 balance in the Community Improvements Projects (CIP) Expenditure Category, be moved and allocated into the Neighborhood Purpose Grants (NPG) Expenditure Category.
15. [RC] Discussion/Action/Motion: Approve NPG for Mount Gleason Middle School/Mount Gleason Runners in the amount of $1,500 for training equipment and running supplies for the school’s running team. (NPG-LAUSD)
16. [RC] Discussion/Action/Motion: Approve NPG for Safe Streets Are For Everyone in the amount of $1,000 for pole engineering and installation materials for the Yellow Bike Project Installation Memorial for Jeff Knopp. (NPG-501(1)(c3))
17. [RC] DISCUSSION/ACTION: Motion: Approve up to $448 monthly for 2 ($224 x 2) storage units at U.S. Storage due to price increase. (Office)
18. [RC] DISCUSSION/ACTION: Motion: Approve $250 for a Self Defense Class with Find You Within Instructor Jean Morrison. (Outreach)
OLD BUSINESS - Postponed from previous meeting
20. [RC] PRESENTATION/DISCUSSION/ACTION/MOTION: STNC shall support NCSA’s Renewable Energy Solutions opposing the gas-fired power plant at Intermountain Power Plant in Millard County, Utah.  The LADWP Board Presentation can be seen at: http://ladwp.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=1552
The IPP presentation is item 8B, about an hour and 50 minutes into the video. Oscar Alvarez - Pro Speaker: Lisa Hart / Con Speaker: Paul Schultz
21. [RC] DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION: Motion STNC shall submit a Community Impact Statement in support Council File 19-0002-S136 expanding the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument, establish a National Recreation Area along the San Gabriel River corridor, and designate over 30,000 acres of protected wilderness and 45.5 miles of protected rivers in Southern California https://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=19-0002-S136
22. [RC] DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION: Motion STNC shall submit a Community Impact Statement in support Council File Council File 19-1279 To Health, Education, Neighborhoods, Parks, Arts, and River Committee Motion relative to a request to name the Sepulveda Basin Wildlife Reserve in memory of Park Ranger Captain Albert E. Torres, in recognition of his distinguished career of service to the Department of Recreation and Parks and to the people and City of Los Angeles. https://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=19-1279
23. BYLAWS COMMITTEE  – Motion: The STNC Board shall create the STNC Bylaws & Standing Rules Committee to present recommendations to the STNC Board about Bylaws & Standing Rules Amendments. Following the creation of the committee, the Board shall select the chair and four committee members.
24. COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT COMMITTEE  – Motion: The STNC Board shall create the Community Improvement Committee as a standing committee for the purpose of addressing issues to improve our community and present recommendations to the STNC Board. Following the creation of the committee, the Board shall select the chairs and committee members.
25. FINAL ANNOUNCEMENTS: Board Meetings dates at Apperson Street School February 12, 2020; Future meetings STNC Land Use Committee meetings will be held at Apperson Street School on January 13; February 3, 2020.
26. Closing Comments by Liliana Sanchez, President, Acknowledgements, and Adjournment. 
Adjourn Posted 1/ 5 /20 Remove after 1 / 8/20
Time allocations in parenthesis [ ] and order for agenda items are approximate and may be shortened or lengthened at the discretion of the Presiding Officer. All meetings of the STNC may be audio or video recorded.
PUBLIC INPUT AT NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL MEETINGS – The public is requested to fill out a “Speaker Card” to address the Board on any agenda item before the Board takes an action on an item. Comments from the public on agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the agenda that are within the Board’s jurisdiction will be heard during the General Public Comment period. Please note that under the Brown Act, the Board is prevented from acting on a matter that you bring to its attention during the General Public Comment period; however, the issue raised by a member of the public may become the subject of a future Board meeting. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker, unless adjusted by the presiding officer of the Board.
PUBLIC POSTING OF AGENDAS - STNC agendas are posted for public review as follows:
● North Valley City Hall, 7747 Foothill Blvd., Tujunga
● You can also receive our agendas via email by subscribing to L.A. City’s Early Notification System at https://www.lacity.org/your-government/government-information/subscribe-other-meetings-agendas-and-documents/neighborhood-councils
THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT - As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices and other auxiliary aids and/or services, may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting Liliana Sanchez, Board President, at (818) 951-7411
PUBLIC ACCESS OF RECORDS – In compliance with Government Code section 54957.5, non-exempt writings that are distributed to a majority or all of the board in advance of a meeting may be viewed at stnc.org or at the scheduled meeting. In addition, if you would like a copy of any record related to an item on the agenda, please contact Liliana Sanchez, Board President, at (818) 951-7411.
RECONSIDERATION AND GRIEVANCE PROCESS
For information on the STNC process for board action reconsideration, stakeholder grievance policy, or any other procedural matters related to this Council, please consult the STNC Bylaws. The Bylaws are available at our Board meetings and our website www.stnc.org
SERVICIOS DE TRADUCCION
Si requiere servicios de traducción, favor de avisar al Concejo Vecinal 3 días de trabajo (72 horas) antes del evento. Por favor contacte a Liliana Sanchez, Presidente de la Mesa Directiva, al (818) 951-7411 o por correo electrónico para avisar al Concejo Vecinal.